Today’s Thrifty Gifty is also a Pottery Barn knock-off. These are my teacher gifts (along with a scarf I got for about $3 from Coldwater Creek).
I saw these monogrammed candles in the early spring 2007 catalog. They were on sale: the 6”w x 4”h was originally $24, on sale for $14.99. They also had a 5”w x 8”h, which was orig $49, on sale for $29.99. Pretty steep for candles, if you ask me.
I picked up the yummy smelling Hazelnut Cream triple wick candles at Walmart for $3 each. There are a couple ways you could go about monogramming them. If you have a Cricut, by all means, use that. I don’t, so I hand-cut my stencil out of contact paper.
First I printed out the letter I wanted. Then I taped it to a square of contact paper, and cut it out with my Xacto knife.
Peel the backing off the contact paper and stick it tightly and smoothly to the candle.
Wrap paper or something around the whole candle to protect from overspray (I just tucked the edges under the contact paper). Do the top too; I didn’t and the lid got a little dusting on it.
Go over it with several light coats of spray paint. I accidentally used primer, but in hindsight that probably wasn’t a bad idea. It might adhere better.
Wait a while for it to dry, and then carefully peel the contact paper off.
Party time! Here are the rules:
- your knock-off entry must be made by you
- it must inspired by Pottery Barn, Ballard Designs, or Restoration Hardware
- you must include a picture of the original item from the catalog so we can compare
- it must be a specific comparable item, like my lamp shade, and not just a “this kind of has the PB look to it”
- you must link back to me in your post, preferably using my button code, which you can get in my right side column
- link to your specific party post, and not your general home page
- please be polite and visit several other participants and leave a nice comment
If you need more details, see this post. Though I hate to do it, any entry that does not follow the rules will be deleted. List will be open until Sun. Dec. 12 at 11:59 pm central.
Also, Monday I will have another Thrifty Gifty linky party.