The winner of the Willow House giveaway is #38, Mary Ellen!
My project comes from the March 2008 Ballard Designs catalog. The Ball and Spear Finials came in a set of 3, original price $69, sale price in this catalog $39.99.
I started out with this…thing…that I got in the clearance section at Hobby Lobby for about $2. I suppose it’s meant to be a finial, but the gold color was really kind of yuck.
This was actually one of my very first blog projects, and I didn’t take any photos of the process. First, I spray-painted it with gray primer. Then using gray and white acrylic paints and a dry brush method to give it a weathered look. Although in this side-by-side the colors look quite a bit different, the catalog says their finials have a “weathered gray finish”.
Today I have it on top of my hutch, which currently is not so much arranged as just a haphazard placement of things as they come into the house, both inside and on top.
A close-up of the dry brush technique:
I must confess, I actually did the painting before I saw it in the Ballard catalog, and though I knew when I bought it that I would paint it, I wasn’t sure how until I saw the same item on another blog, as is explained in my original post.
So this is a happy coincidence that it looks so much like the Ballard finials, but the take-home message here is look past what you see on the surface and imagine what it could be. Don’t judge a book by its cover and all that.
- your knock-off entry must be made by you
- it must inspired by Pottery Barn, Ballard Designs, or Restoration Hardware
- you must include a picture of the original item from the catalog so we can compare
- it must be a specific comparable item, like my lamp shade, and not just a “this kind of has the PB look to it”
- you must link back to me in your post, preferably using my button code, which you can get in my right side column
- link to your specific party post, and not your general home page
- you should be polite and visit several other participants and leave a nice comment
If you need more details, see this post. List will be open until Sun Oct 31 at 11:59 pm.